Sunday, January 31, 2010

Red Velvet Cake with Chocolate Chips & Cream Cheese Icing


Several times now, one of my coworkers, Way-Jen, has brought in a cake from Nothing Bundt Cakes which is located near her home in Mira Mesa. While all of the cakes that I've had the fortune to sample have been excellent, I was blown away by their Red Velvet Cake (with chocolate chips and cream cheese icing). It's not often when you are lucky enough to stumble upon a cake as moist and rich as their red velvet. I've been on the hunt for a recipe which will deliver the same degree of moistness and great flavor. Two years ago while home in the Midwest at Christmas, I tore out a red velvet recipe from one of Mary Jo's home magazines (with her blessing of course). I finally recently tried it. While I'm told it had great flavor and others seemed to enjoy it, I was disappointed that the moistness I was hoping to replicate from Nothing Bundt Cakes was not delivered by this recipe (even though it included buttermilk as is traditional in a Southern red velvet cake). If you know of a great red velvet cake recipe, please send it my way as the hunt is still on...

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that cream cheese frosting looks worthy of an award! It's fun when you have to hunt for something like this and learn so much along the way. I bet you can tweak the recipe to suit your taste. You have a great sense of adventure and know what you're doing. The pictures, by the way, are all fantastic on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I was excited because I thought you had found the recipe haha. Thanks for the reminder though, I'm going to try to get one of their red velvet cakes from there this weekend =)

    -z

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the guys in my building, Bucky, mentioned that his mother makes a good Red Velvet Cake. When he asked her to share the recipe with me, much to his surprise it wasn't an old family recipe as he expected, instead she supplied the Paula Deen recipe at the below link. Makes you wonder if she does have a good family recipe but she's not willing to share it...

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/grandmother-pauls-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had luck with yogurt, sour cream, or even crushed pineapple for providing moistness. In this instance a good vanilla yogurt would probably do the trick (4-5 ounces) and don't remove any of the other liquid called for in the recipe. It may take a bit longer to cook and I would let it cool completely before cutting it.

    ReplyDelete