Friday, December 3, 2010

Butternut Squash Lasagna

I enjoy trying a variety of lasagna recipes because lasagna is such a satisfying dish featuring layers of unique flavor combinations. When the recipe for Butternut Squash Lasagna popped up in my email InBox from the Chow blog, I couldn't help but be intrigued. Only within the last couple of years I have discovered an appreciation for butternut squash, so I was tempted to give it a try. Since I have not yet developed the same appreciation for chestnuts, I was a bit gun-shy about this ingredient, however, after checking in a several stories including a speciality grocery, I couldn't locate the unsweetened chestnut purée which this recipe calls for. I then decided to also skip the alternative suggested for the chestnut purée (thinly sliced roasted chestnuts) since I really can't enjoy the consistency of roasted chestnuts. The combination of the browned butternut squash and mushrooms with the Béchamel Sauce, Fontina, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and Gorgonzola was amazing. I had not only never had butternut squash in a lasagna, but the Gorgonzola was also a new experience in my lasagna baking world. I loved the tanginess of the Gorgonzola and the balance it provided to the sweetness of the squash. I'm not sure what the flavor profile would have been like with the unsweetened chestnut purée, but it was an excellent dish without it. The primary change I will make next time is to use regular lasagna noodles which I'll boil since the box of par-cooked lasagna noodles made the dish dry based on the amount of sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment