Sunday, September 19, 2010

Steak & Onions with Sour Cream Sauce & Mashed Potatoes


Cooler fall weather is the perfect time for a slow cooked dinner. It can be challenging to pull together a hearty weeknight meal, so I recently put the ingredients together the night before and when I walked in the door from work the following evening, I was greeted by the wonderful aroma of a effortlessly prepared dinner. "The Slow Cooking Book: The Best Little Cookbook for Slow-Cooked Meals" by Fog City Press is my go-to for great slow-cooked meals. As instructed, I cut 2 lbs. of steak into 4" cubes, coated them with 1/4 c. flour (shaked in a ziplock works the best), then browned them in two batches using 1 T. butter and 1 T. oil per batch. After putting the beef into the slow cooker, I then sauteed until tender 2 sliced large yellow onions with 3 cloves chopped garlic. 1 c. beef stock, 2 t. Worcestershire sauce, and 1 t. soy sauce was then added to the onions to deglaze the pan. The onion mixture was added to the beef and I seasoned it with salt and fresh ground black pepper. After cooking on low for 8 hours, I then stirred in 3/4 c. sour cream and served it on mashed potatoes and garnished it with chopped fresh parsley. For such an easily prepared meal, this dinner was outstanding! As expected, the beef was super tender and the creamy smoothness of the sour cream sauce was favorable and well-suited for the mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment