Saturday, July 24, 2010

Cucumber Tomato Salad

July has been an extremely gray, foggy, and cool month here in the Bay area. San Francisco's high one day recently was a new record at only 56 degrees, and there was a couple of days this week that I used my space heater in my Berkeley office. Needless to say, I've been longing for the "feel" of summer! This just isn't what this Midwestern boy who spent the last 11 years in Southern California is used to for a time called "summer"! I was able to get a bit of the summer feel with this Cucumber Tomato Salad. After Steve's first bite he even explained "this tastes like summer". This quick and easy salad tasted extremely fresh and healthy. The addition of the feta cheese and optional olives provided a nice contrast to the balsamic vinegar. Every summer while growing up my dad always had a much bigger than necessary garden. Lots of varieties of tomatoes were in abundance each year since they are his favorite veggie. One of my mother's favorites were the cucumbers which she would used to produce a couple varieties of popular pickles. This salad conjured up some nice summer memories of the Kansas farm (and some not so nice like the hours of pulling weeds in the heat and humidity!).

No comments:

Post a Comment